Jomtien is immediately south of Pattaya and, practically speaking, they form one municipality. Jomtien, like Pattaya, is popular with tourists, but has a significant population of permanent expats and some workers, making for a more sedate bar and night life scene.
Visitors from Bangkok by bus will arrive at the main Pattaya bus terminal on North Pattaya Rd. Taxis can take you directly to your hotel or other destinations. From the bus terminal songthaews (aka “baht buses”, converted pick up trucks with two longitudinal benches in the back) depart once full and will drop travellers throughout Pattaya and Jomtien for between 5 and 20 baht depending on the distance travelled. If taking a baht bus it’s advisable to know roughly where your intended stop is, as passengers have to push the buzzer to signal the driver to stop.
- Dongtan Beach runs to the right of the police box at the very end of Thappraya Rd. While this area is frequented by mostly straight families, it also boasts perhaps the largest concentration of LGBT community beach-goers in SE Asia. A 265 m section of this beach, from Tui’s Place to Rabbit Resort is greater-Pattaya’s only gay beach. The beach is divided into sections, each run by a separate vendor. Here you can relax and share your experiences with fellow travellers from around the world or with local expats, get a foot massage (about 300 baht for an hour), purchase all manner of DVDs and other paraphernalia from roving vendors, people watch, eat, drink, read, relax.
- Jomtien Beach is some 6 km long and is especially popular with Thai families enjoying day outings. Beach chairs are 30 baht/day, and there are countless places to eat, shop and stay just a few steps away on the opposite side of Jomtien Beach Rd.
- Pattaya Park and Tower +66 38 364-110(-20). Sun-Fri 10:00-19:00, Sat 10:00-20:00. Pattaya Park Beach Resort and Tower at Chom Thian features a large whirlpool with giant sliders and a tower with a revolving restaurant. Visitors can also enjoy several games and rides on the tower and in its playground. 200 baht.
- Hardbody Fitness Gym (401/17 Moo 12, Thappraya Rd. No telephone. Small non-air-con weights-oriented gym. Open daily 08:30-21:00; 75 baht/day, 300 baht/week, 500 baht/fortnight, 750 baht/month, 2000 baht/3 months, 3,500 baht/6 months, 6,000 baht/year.
- Jomtien Bowl, Royal Jomtien Resort, Jomtien Beach Rd. 8 lanes, open daily 10:00-02:00.
- Jomtien Fishing Park Jomtien Beach Rd Soi 14. Charges 100 baht/own rod, 200 baht to rent house rods. Guides are available, as is food (including your catch!) and drink. Competitions on Sa Su 15:00-17:00 (100 baht/rod).
- Mari-Jari Sauna & Spa (New Level of Ancient Traditions), 13/68 Soi Wat Boon Kanjanaram Jomtien 2nd Rd (turn Jomtien Rd to Soi Wat Boon near Grand Jomtien Palace, cross Jomtien 2nd), ☎ +66 38 23 28 36,. 11-23, except Mondays. One of the best spa complex in Pattaya with relax and calm atmosphere. Visitors can use Finnish sauna, Russian steam room (banya), Turkish sauna, hot and ice cold water pools, swimming pool and recreation area, healthy food restaurant and children`s playroom. Mari-Jari Sauna & Spa offers to their clients different types of massages, body and face scrubs and masks, wrappings, Spa procedures (Charcot shower, Hydro massage, Circulation shower).
- Jungle Bungy Jump (15 minutes from town centre) Tel. +66 78 336655. Located in a beautiful tropical setting, 50 m (165 ft) over a jungle lagoon. Provides transport anywhere in Pattaya. Open 09:00-18:00.
- Paintball World, Jomtien Beach Rd. Tel. +66 38 232796.